Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Second Activation

I was back to JHLC for the second time. I was re-mapped to get 3 more channels. I was able to get sensations from channels 21, 20, and 19. Yesterday, I didn't get sensations like that, I guessed that it takes time to have my brain and nerves to adjust and it helped to spread to more channels.

Same thing, channel 22 gave me sensations behind my right ear. Channel 21 gave me muscle twitching in my upper lip, so audiologist reduced lower level to prevent muscle twitching. Then channel 20, I get like little pain in my head and shoulder. Audiologist also reduced to comfortable level. Same goes for channel 19, it gives me some feeling behind my head. After it was remapped, and she left 4 channels on and 18 other channels off. She gave me 4 different programs in my BTE processor (Behind the ear). All four programs contain same mapping, but use different strategies such as ACE, CIS, etc. She asked me to switch to different programs during one week period. When I come back for next week's activation, I will need to tell her which 4 programs are best for me and she will focus on this strategy and probably also the second best strategy, and to increase more channels as well. I am seem to get more sensations than I did on the first activation.

After everything were finished, I asked her about baby cry, and I wasn't able to hear my daughter crying... She said that cochlear implant is not similar to hearing aids which simply amplifies to louder sounds. Cochlear implant only sends electronic signals to the nerves, and the nerves still doesn't recognize the sounds, either loud or soft sounds. It takes time for the brain to adapt and re-wiring the nerves from sensation feelings to hearing sounds. So my daughter's crying/screams aren't yet recognized in my brain, and I am not still hearing it yet.

So far I am progressing and I keep my faith in God to help me with the whole progress.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transitioning from sensations to sound takes time. And when it happens, it's kinda like "WOW...did that just happen?" It's exciting when it does, and sometimes painful. But it will happen. Also, the muscle twitches, etc. will go away as your nerves become...ummmm, used to stimulation. Now I am running the high speeds I could not handle before with no twitching.

It took me a year to love it. LOL.

You'll be fine!

12/22/2005 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do we get an update? *poke*

Sherry

1/06/2006 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home